Skip to main content

Web Content Display Web Content Display

Web Content Display Web Content Display


Yes, you can take part in the recruitment process without having completed a Master's degree. The diploma will be needed to enroll on the list of doctoral students, which is scheduled for the period from August 9-12 (for the first round), and from September 26 to September 27 (for the second round). 

This means, that the first round of recruitment process may be attended by persons who already have a Master's degree and those whose defense is planned before August 12, while in the second round of recruitment process may be attended by persons who will defend Master's degree before September 27.

For persons who have not been awarded a diploma of Master's degree before the above-mentioned dates, but have already defended their Master Degree, these persons may be enroll to the Doctoral School on the basis of a certificate from the University and an obligation to deliver the diploma within 30 days from the date of enrollment to the Doctoral School.

In exceptional cases, justified by the highest quality of scientific achievements, it is also possible to admit to the Doctoral School a person who is a graduate of first-cycle studies or a student who has completed the third year of uniform Master's studies. It is important to report this fact at the first stage of admission and to attach an additional opinion of an academic researcher confirming the high quality of the conducted research and the high level of advancement of these achievements. Failure to mention this information within the time limit specified in the admission schedule will prevent admitting the candidate to the first stage of the admission procedure.

Yes, only if a foreign diploma of Master degree qualifies for the award of a PhD degree in the issuing country.

Diplomas obtained abroad do not entitle to continue education in Poland if:

  1. the institutions that issued them or the institutions in which the learning was provided: 
    1. were not accredited universities on the date of issuing the diploma or pursued a study program without accreditation on the date of issuing the diploma;
    2. do not operate in any country's higher education system;
  2. the higher education program or its part was implemented contrary to the regulations of the state in which the education was conducted.

In order to obtain the information if the diploma recognize to undertake education at our Doctoral School, you should submit a request to National Agency for Academic Exchange for issuing written information about it. All information is available at the bottom. Please click on 'read more' to access it.

Read More o

The Doctoral School of Social Sciences provides education only in the full-time mode, which means, inter alia, that the doctoral student is obliged to participate in classes. Classes are held, according to the educational program, on weekdays - from Monday to Friday.

Information on the extramural mode of education is provided directly by the Science Discipline Committee which awards the doctoral degree.

No, such consent of the potential supervisor before admission to the Doctoral School is not required. The supervisor will be appointed by the Science Discipline Committee within three months from the date you commence your education.

Nevertheless, one of the documents which required during application round is a recommendation letter. According to the eligibility criteria, the recommendation letter should be written by an employee conducting research activity in the discipline, having at least academic title of PhD degree, or having at least a doctoral degree and the right to supervise a doctoral student as the main supervisor.

No, it is not possible. The candidate who completed the Master level studies at the Jagiellonian University or at any other university in the country or abroad, presents a research project that is the result of his own work. A research project is a key document on the basis of which the Committee will assess a candidate's substantive competences and ability to conduct research, and therefore cannot be prepared by third parties.

There is no need. A recommendation letter should be written by a person who knows the candidate and his/her achievements so far. It does not matter whether it is a person from, the Jagiellonian University or from another Polish or foreign university, but it is important that the person which could write a recommendation letter be an employee conducting research activity in the discipline in which the doctoral program application refers or in a related discipline. The person which could write a recommendation letter should have at least a DSc degree or PhD with habilitation, and if there is no requirement to obtain a DSc degree or PhD with habilitation in the higher education system of their country - they should have at least a PhD degree and qualifications to provide for a doctoral student as the main supervisor.

Yes, it is possible to apply for admission with the academic title of Master of Arts, Master of Science, or an equivalent academic title obtained in any field of study. However, it should be borne in mind, that each science discipline uses a specific concepts, methodology and research techniques. In the presented research project and also during the interview, the admission committee will assess, inter alia, whether the research intentions presented by the candidate in the research plan are consistent with the profile of the Doctoral School in Social Sciences and the doctoral program to which the application relates.

There are no obstacles to participate in admission for several doctoral programs. In each of these admissions, a recommendation letter will be required from a researcher conducting research activity in the discipline in which the doctoral program is conducted or in a related discipline.

If you qualify for several doctoral programs of our School, you should select one of them for which you will register. You cannot enroll in two or more doctoral programmes. 

A person qualified for admission may register at only one doctoral school and, at the time of entry, makes a declaration that he or she is not a doctoral student at any doctoral school. It is unacceptable to re-enter the school if, on the date of entry, the candidate already has the status of a doctoral student at this school.

There are no formal barriers to undertake studies in the doctoral school. The only limitation is the time and commitment to the education process and preparation of a doctoral dissertation. It should be mentioned that the Doctoral School conducts education on a full-time basis, which means that classes take place from Monday to Friday, not during weekends.

No, the doctoral student does not pay any fees for education at the doctoral school, regardless of whether he/she is a Polish citizen or a foreigner.

A person who completed education at the Doctoral School does not pay any fees for conducting the procedure for awarding the PhD degree.

Yes, each PhD student at the Doctoral School who does not have a PhD degree receives a doctoral scholarship.

The monthly doctoral scholarship before the mid-term evaluation is currently 3466,90 PLN gross, while after the mid-term evaluation - 5340,90 PLN gross. The scholarship is tax-free, but social security and health contributions are deducted from it. Their amount depends on whether the doctoral student has a different title to health insurance and whether he/she decides to cover the voluntary sickness insurance contribution. The doctoral student receives the scholarship reduced by the amount of contributions, so you should be prepared for a transfer in a slightly lower amount than the gross amount specified above.

If the doctoral student has a certificate of disability or a certificate referred to in art. 5 and art. 62 of the Act of 27 August 1997 on vocational and social rehabilitation and employment of disabled people (Journal of Laws of 2019, item 1172), he/she will receive a doctoral scholarship in the amount increased by 30% of the amount indicated in paragraph 209, para. 4 point 1 of the Act. The doctoral scholarship in an increased amount is paid from the month in which the required documentation was submitted to the Department for Disabled Persons, with compensation for the period from the date of obtaining the above-mentioned certificate.

A doctoral scholarship is not available to a doctoral student whose education at the doctoral school requires employment at the Jagiellonian University:

  1. based on an employment contract;
  2. with remuneration that exceeds the professor's remuneration.

The schedule includes courses taking place within all eleven doctoral programs conducted at our School.

In determining which classes are mandatory, you need to read with comprehension the doctoral program published on the website in tab "For PhD students", which contains information on the minimum number of ECTS points to be completed in individual modules and indicates which courses are obligatory, and which of them are optional. On its basis, you can choose between courses from the catalog published before the beginning of each semester. Also during the semester, there will be announcements about the possibility of enrolling in classes, in particular those conducted under the “Una Europa” program, and information about guest lectures conducted by outstanding specialists from outside our university. Information on the content of the courses, the method of completing them, and any possible preconditions are included in the syllabuses.

You can also participate in courses offered by other Doctoral Schools of the Jagiellonian University (if there are vacancies), and pursue other activities that will bring you closer to the completion of your doctoral dissertation. Supervisors could assist you in selection of courses.