Formal entry requirements for entering the admission procedure
Candidates eligible to apply for admission to the doctoral school are holders of Magister, Magister inżynier, or equivalent title awarded in any field of study.
Verification of the fulfillment of this condition takes place after qualifying for admission to the doctoral school, at the time of entry into the list of doctoral students.
In exceptional cases, justified by the highest quality of scientific achievements, a person referred to in art. 186 paragraph 2 of the Act, i.e. a person who is a graduate of first-cycle studies or a student who has completed the third year of uniform master's studies, without the professional title of magister, master engineer or equivalent.
For people who use the extraordinary procedure pursuant to Art. 186 paragraph 2 of the Act, the verification takes place before admission to the first stage of the recruitment procedure, on the basis of an opinion confirming the high quality of the research works carried out and the high level of advancement of these works, issued by a research supervisor with at least a postdoctoral degree or an employee of a foreign university or scientific institution with significant achievements.
Language of the admission procedure
The procedure is conducted in the language of education in a given program.
List of documents required for the calculation of the final result
- academic CV, enclosed with a list of publications and conference papers;
- recommendation letter, written by a fellow conducting research in the discipline or related disciplines, holding at least the academic degree of Doktor habilitowany, or holding at least the academic degree of Doktor and eligible to supervise the doctoral student as the principal supervisor;
- research proposal (character count: min. 10,000, max. 18,000, with spaces), comprising the following elements: title, keywords, aim/research problem, impact of the proposed research, research methods, research design and plan, and preliminary literature review;
- persons referred to in Article 186(2) of the act: letter of reference confirming exceptional quality of the research conducted by the candidate and the advanced progress of the research, written by candidate’s academic supervisor holding at least the academic degree of Doktor habilitowany, or a fellow employed at a foreign university or research institution who has significant achievements in research problems related to the education program.
A person joining the recruitment procedure presents a complete set of documents indicated in the recruitment announcement as part of the submitted application.
Submitting an incomplete application or application containing significant deficiencies in relation to the requirements for its preparation specified in the announcement of recruitment results in its inability to be assessed and the qualification result being set on the ranking list equal to 0 (zero) points.
The complete application is submitted for evaluation as part of the first stage.
In the first stage, the following are assessed:
- concurrence of the candidate's scientific interests with the discipline
- research project.
The proposal is assessed on the following merits:
- formal assessment;
- assessment of the research problem identification and description;
- literature review adequacy;
- research methods adequacy;
- scientific reliability (originality of the project and independence of its implementation);
- compliance of the scientific intentions with the profile of the Doctoral School of Social Sciences and the doctoral program.
The committee may appoint a reviewer for the assessment for the proposal, from among the research fellows employed at the Jagiellonian University, holding at least the academic degree of Doktor habilitowany and recognized specialized competence and knowledge in the area referred to in the research proposal.
Only candidates who jointly meet the following conditions are invited to the second stage of the admission procedure (the interview):
- the candidate's research interests are in line with the discipline;
- the project submitted was positively assessed in each of the criteria in the first stage.
Persons who are not admitted to stage two receive a qualification result of 0 (zero) points on the ranking list.
During the second stage the committee conducts the interview in English (0-100 points), in which the following elements are assessed:
- academic quality, novelty, and probability of completion of the submitted research proposal, taking into account the result of assessment conducted during the first stage of the admission procedure (0–50 points);
- candidate’s academic CV (0–20 points);
- candidate’s qualifications presented during the interview (0–30 points).
The interview may include elements of checking the knowledge of English or Polish language.
Failure to participate in the interview will result in the qualification result being set to 0 (zero) points on the ranking list.
Grant and international research projects beneficiaries, from the list announced by the school director on the school’s website, are awarded the maximum number of points from the admission procedure (100 points) and are exempted from taking part in the admission procedure stages, provided that they meet the formal requirements for entering the admission procedure. The committee determines whether the candidate meets these conditions on the basis of the documents submitted by the candidate.
Subject to the above-mentioned cases, the candidate's qualification result is the number of points obtained during the interview, determined with an accuracy of two decimal places.